Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Dead C - The Garage, London, 1 December 2010


I can’t believe that I’m actually about to watch The Dead C.

If you’d asked me 15 years ago if they’d be playing The Garage I would have found the idea inconceivable. But here they are in a warm-up show for the coming ATP appearance.

The begin with Bruce Russell and Michael Morley manipulating squalls of noise from their guitars. After about 10 minutes Robbie Yeats joins them on stage, adding his breathtakingly simple drum beats.

Just as I’m expecting the performance to take off it falls flat. Whole sections meander, twisting aimlessly, into musical cul de sacs. They occasionally flicker, and I’m momentarily expectant, awaiting the dysfunctional magic they able to conjure. Only the spell is just as quickly broken. And, dare I say it, the tedium returns. The set sounds like a rehearsal where something isn’t working.

It’s too easy to suggest I’d built The Dead C up too much in my own mind. Set expectations they could never meet. If anything my critical judgement was temporarily suspended. I was ready to love them. They wouldn’t have had to offer me much.

I can feel a similar restlessness in the audience. The muted applause at the end of their set seems to convey the same message.
Preferred drink: Bishop's Finger

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this band never really made another convincing record after parting company with siltbreeze. the sound is there but the spark has long gone. i think they simply ran out of ideas.

Jilted Barfly said...

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. They're last couple of records have been good, but I wouldn't rate them over their older LPs.

Dave said...

There is no middle ground with the Dead C - when they get it right they are transcendent but when they don't get into their groove its like listening to three drunken uncles pissing about in their garage